The Lion locomotive was one of a pair (the other
was called Tiger) built by the Todd, Kitson & Laird Company of Leeds in 1837 to
pull goods trains on the Liverpool and Manchester line. It was used
until 1859 and was restored to working condition for the anniversary of the
opening of the Liverpool to Manchester Railway in 1930. Lion has a staring role in the 1952
Ealing Comedy ‘The Titfield Thunderbolt’.
The Lion belongs to the National
Museums and Galleries on Merseyside and was displayed with the museum's
transport collection at the Central
Museum in Liverpool. It was steamed
until 1992. It returned to Manchester while the Liverpool
Museum undertakes major building work.
Of the original 1838 engine many parts still
survive in Lion today. The boiler is thought to be a replacement fitted in about
1845. When examined at Crewe in 1929, it was found to be in good condition and only a few tubes
needed to be replaced.
Some new parts were made at that time to replace
those which were missing, such as the chimney. They were produced on advice from
the firm of Robert Stephenson, the tender being made from drawings of one
supplied by that firm to the Furness Railway at about the same time as Lion was
built. The polished metal cover over the firebox was also added at that time,
though it is not thought to have been fitted originally.